Wednesday 30 September 2015

Bright Lights, Bigger City

World Triathlon Championships Chicago 2015

I can't believe how quickly the time has gone, the end of September already!

I’m in the process of putting something together about my training and racing through August and early September in the build up to the World Championships but I thought it best that I put down my experience in Chicago whilst it was still fresh, so here goes!

Firstly I would like to say that I am incredibly pleased with my result, although some of you that I’ve spoken with will know that it may not seem like it when I talk a about it. That is simply just the way I am, I’m my own harshest critic, I set myself high standards and I always want to achieve more than is expected of me. This obviously isn’t always possible, I think I put together a solid performance which I am proud of, but I know that I had prepared better than my performance shows and I can’t help but be slightly disappointed in that sense.

At the start of the year this event wasn't even on my radar but after a good result at the European Championships I wanted to know how I would compare against a World class field. I'm not someone who has travelled a lot, in fact this would be my first time out of Europe, so heading across the pond was a big deal.

Anyone who has participated in race of this scale will know that the most important thing is to have a ‘clean’ race; no-one wants to sit on a plane for 9 hours to go three round with Mike Tyson in the swim and then puncture.

The day before the race didn’t go exactly how I had planned, in fact I did exactly what I knew I shouldn’t do. Through a combination of getting my bearings in the city, the race briefing, bike racking and swim familiarization (all in the unexpected blistering sunshine) I found myself out and on my feet in the sun all day. I got back to the hotel in the evening and just thought "what have I done, I'm knackered and sun burnt!". From then it was legs up and all I could do was hope I could recover and hadn't ruined my race before it even started.
 
#beanselfie
Having a race start time of 10:10 meant for a relaxed morning, I had a coffee and some porridge at the hotel before heading down to transition to set up the rest of my kit.

The sun was out in full force again and I hung to the shade listening to some music before I put my wetsuit on and dropped my bags off with 45 minutes to the start. This is was when things took a turn for the worse, I found myself cooking in my wetsuit, sweat running out of my wrists and ankles and I knew then that I should have put a bottle on my bike. As I’d been expecting mild temperatures and hoped for a quick race I chose to save the weight and not bring one, I’d been racing sprints throughout the summer without and knew I should be fine. But not in this kind of weather.

As we made our way through the pens and onto the pontoon we were given 1 minute to get onto the start line and then it was go. People began elegantly diving in all around me and I thought I’m not bloody doing that, I can’t dive! I didn’t think this was a good time to try and learn either so I jumped in hoping no-one was about to dive on top of me. After getting beaten up for the entire swim in Geneva I’d put in a lot of time in the pool and knew I’d made some good improvements but I really didn’t want to get punched in the first stroke and suffer for the rest of the race, as they say

“you can’t win the race in the swim, but you can lose it”

I chose to start near the far buoy just off the main group having heard the turn buoy at the end of the swim was further out than you expect and people had been sent back to go around it the previous day at the aquathlon. This proved a good move as I set off with clear water I kept out of the fights and just got my head down. It turns out the swim course was long by ~100m which I wasn’t glad about at the time but I was soon at the turn buoy and heading straight for stairs, having swam parallel with the main group the whole way with a group of swimmers on my feet I was pleased with the clean swim but could have benefited from some faster feet if I’d gone off with the right group, it’s a choice you’ve got to weigh up at every race and I chose to play it safe and do all the work myself.

Out of the water, up the steps and it was a long 800m up to transition. It always feels like a long run out of the swim in a wetsuit but I passed a few athletes on my way and found my bike no problem which was a miracle in the packed transition area.

Once on the bike it was clear it was going to be a fast day in the saddle, the majority of the course was up and down a main highway so it was a case of tucking and pushing hard. Unfortunately as we weren’t able to recce the course before the race it came as a shock when a man in a fluorescent jacket stood on a wall was shouting at everyone that passing, I wondered what was going on and then I smashed into a pretty large section of raised tarmac. Obviously a scar from some roadworks that weren’t particularly well finished, it was a metre long raised section crossing both sides of the road. It left a number of athletes with DNF’s through punctures; a couple of crashes and a lot of bottles were rattled out and rolling across the road. Anyway, the course flew down the narrow section and round a sharp 90 degree bend and back onto a wide highway for about half a mile before the full turn around. The first lap was taken tentatively not knowing what was coming or how it could be taken but after that it was full throttle, well that was the plan. On the wide sections of road it was easy to stay clear of other athletes and make progress but when the road halved in size and athletes were slamming their brakes on because of the bad road surface it made for a congested part of the course in both directions, I was caught in a big group for most of my second lap, I was nervous about getting caught for drafting but from what I saw there wasn’t much chance of that happening and I definitely wasn’t gaining anything from being boxed in.
One of the few moment I could put my head down and work

On my final lap I was passed by a fellow GB athlete who I knew, I suddenly realised I needed to be going faster and made sure I didn’t let him out of my sight. It wasn’t the first time this season that I’ve needed a kick up butt on the bike, but it definitely helped as I flew around the last lap.

Flying into T2 with the other athlete about 50m ahead I jumped off and was into a full run straight away passing him on the 800m run that circulated the transition area. Once racked we ended up running out of transition shoulder to shoulder, this wasn’t what I wanted so I pushed on straight away creating a good gap within the first kilometre.
Suffering

I’d been working hard on getting some fast legs off the bike and I felt like I was running well, passing a number of athletes without any problems. Unfortunately the heat and humidity began to have a big impact on everyone, as I rounded Buckingham Fountain for the first time it felt like I was running through syrup, my head was pounding and it was hard to take a full breath. The course was made up of 1.5 laps, starting at transition heading down the highway before a full turn back up the highway and into Grant park before circling Buckingham Fountain, this was where you either peeled off to finish on your second lap or continued on round the fountain and back up the highway to transition before a full turn into your second lap. I know that people do some incredible things and I can’t begin to imagine and kind of suffering athletes go through in long-distance racing but I can honestly say that I suffered badly on my second lap, I wasn’t the only one as I saw 2 athletes collapse and a ‘Red’ warning was put out over the loud speaker based on temperature and humidity. I can’t remember much about the remainder of the run and I don’t even remember finishing, I saw the footage of me crossing the line and it was like watching someone else. Once over the line my legs went and a marshal took me by the arms and sat me in an ice bath and gave me a bottle of water, I’ve never felt like my head was actually throbbing before and I hope it’s not something I’ll have to get used to. I had no idea where I finished but made my way out of the athlete’s area and found some friends who had the live results and said I’d finished 6th in my AG, the first European and currently the fastest British time overall which I held onto. I was pleased but still not feeling great so it was a lot to take on at the time and to be honest I’m not really sure when I will fully digest not just this race but everything that’s happened this year.


The times are a bit off because the swim and the run were both long and the bike was short but here are my splits and positions overall for each discipline, they don't represent my position throughout the race unfortunately:

Swim: 10:31 / 17th
T1: 2:59 / 13th
Bike: 28:17 / 15th
T2: 1:59 / 3rd
Run: 17:13 / 7th
Overall: 1:0:59 / 6th


Overall the whole experience was truly unforgettable and something that I will always remember fondly, leaving me with amazing memories and a result i can be proud of. I need to thank everyone who made the trip possible; Pedal Potential, Les-Stables, Mailcoms Ltd and an abundance of family and friends whose help was overwhelming. I just hope that I can make everyone proud of me and succeed in ways these people believe I can, even if I don’t yet.


 Video courtesy of World Triathlon.


No comments:

Post a Comment